Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Winding down in Chuncheon

Today we had our Korean language final. I think it went okay. I wasn't too concerned about it. Unlike after some tests, I'll keep studying Korean, because I'm here for a year.

After lunch we had a cultural workshop. One of the topics was how to build relationships with the people at your school and in the community. It was really eye opening. Some suggestions were "say hi" "talk to people" "spend time them" and even "share meals with them." So I'm oversimplifying, but seriously, "common sense" was probably the only thing I needed to hear. I did learn some useful things from the workshop though, which do highlight some cultural differences between America and Korea, including:

  1. When you meet someone senior than you, don't shake their hand. Wait for them to initiate the shake. Bow without making eye contact and give greetings.

  2. Don't leave a room with your back to people. I think this one will take some practice before it's halfway normal.

  3. Don't trip... see above

  4. Don't forget to take off shoes before you enter someone's house, school, some restaurants, pretty much anywhere.

  5. Stand up to bow when senior teachers come in. It's okay, I'm in the Army, so I'm used to this one.

  6. And my favorite one - bring a toothbrush to school because after lunch sometimes the teachers get together and brush their teeth! Now this I'm excited about.


There's a talent show on Friday. I'll probably be in several acts. If you were here, you might see me 1) do the Napoleon Dynamite dance with Conor, Sravan, and Adam; 2)Participate in (win, although Shoni has a big stomach) a dumpling eating contest; 3)Perform in a modern dance interpretation of a typical day during orientation, choreographed by the talented Jackie; 4)maybe something else

On Monday we go to Seoul for 4 days before we head off to our placements. It's almost game time

No comments: