Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Running around

The basketball court at school is finished. It's pretty nice, the best outdoor one I've seen in korea yet... except that the dirt field that surrounds the court means a lot of dirt gets on the court. In Korea, pretty much all soccer fields are dirt. There isn't much grass here. Two students invited me to go play at the end of the day. So I told my co teacher I didn't need a ride home, I was going to play with the kids.

I took off the tie and headed out to the court. I said I was just going to watch because I didn't have sneakers, but the kids wouldn't have that. I had to play. So I played with the middle schoolers. Some are actually decent for the age. Don't worry though, I didn't play my hardest. At one point some of the kids said "play fast" because I hadn't really been running or jumping. After a minute of playing fast they were okay with me just coasting along.

I finally went for a run tonight. The first one since I've been in Gyeryong. I found a nice little one lane road just a few blocks that winds into the farmland and the mountains. Pretty lucky considering I just stumbled upon it and don't know my way around the city/town very well at all. I'll take it as just another sign that someone (fate maybe?) has plans for me in Gyeryong.

If you don't use Skype yet, what are you waiting for? Free calls to other people using it(like me!)! I got to talk to Kishor tonight while he "did work" at his office job, it was nice to hear him. Johan will be leaving from New York to go back to Sweden for a while. Don't let the Swedish girls keep you there forever Johan, we'll miss you. I'll miss the little NYC get together, but I'll be there in spirit guys. I know I don't have to ask you to give Gammby a hard time, you'll do that already, but someone make fun of his wall street powers for me.

This weekend I'm going to Seoul with Annie! My host family is worried about me being on my own, they're so nice and very concerned for me. I think I'll be okay though. My host mom was pretty skeptical until I showed that I had figured out how to get to Daejon, which has a bus terminal that will go to Seoul. Also, I'm not sure if this helped, but Michael Jackson's Billy Jean was playing. She doesn't know much English, but she knows her Michael Jackson.

1 comment:

Bennett Baldwin said...

my skype name is....
bennettbaldwin!