Saturday, August 27, 2005

Dong Ah Apartments

That's the name of my new homestay apartment. Last monday night, after staying with a really nice family for the first five days in Gyeryong, I moved in with my permanent homestay family, who is also very nice. I can't communicate that well with this family, because their English is limited and my Korean is almost nonexistent, but we get along well and they are so nice. I can't wait until I can talk to them in Korean and also understand what they are saying about me. From my host mom especially I always hear "sonsangnim korean korean korean sonsangnim (teacher in Korean) korean korean."

I have a host brother who is in ninth grade (last year of middle school) named Ji Hyun, and a host sister in her first year of middle school (seventh grade) named Ji Sung. My host father is an accountant is does very well. He is renting another apartment two floors down, and he and his wife moved out of their master bedroom into the new apartment to give me the master bedroom! I wish I could have told them not to go to so much trouble. They've been so kind. And now and then a their grandma pops into the apartment. Neither of us can understand the other so we smile at each other while I eat. My host mom prepares so much food for me, and it's delicious. I don't have to worry about losing weight in South Korea anymore.

I've joined a gym, and today I played bball with a new Korean friend Baum Sheik. I don't think we'll be able to get many 5 on 5 games with good competition, but I think as I get used to the area I'll be able to find some eventually in Daejon, about 30 minutes to 1 hour away. I've updated my new webshots with pictures from orientation! Take a look.

So my host brother and his friend went to the movies today. When the came back they started building Gundam figures(Iike transformers I think). I asked them a few questions and then went back to studying Korean. Later when I came out for dinner, there was a cute girl with them! I went out with Baum Sheik for some beers, and when I got back they were still building their Gundam figures, while the girl was bored and chatting with friends on my host brothers computer. Apparently I have some work to do when it comes to teaching them about girls. I asked them at dinner if they had ever heard of a middle school dance (they're in middle school)... but nothing. We'll see what I can do this year at school.

No comments: