Saturday, August 06, 2005

I already met my host brother!

One of the Fulbright camp instructors, Liza, just finished a great year at the school I'm going to. So she's been telling some great things about it. The people are nice, and the school is new. You can visit the website to check it out for yourself, although it's in Korean. Unfortunately I'll have to teach with a co-teacher in the room... which didn't excite me because I want to be in charge of my classroom and I feel like I can handle discipline just fine. I'll see if I can convince her that I'm able enough to teach alone.

But anyway, Liza and I were having lunch and one of her teacher friends from the school called, and told Liza who my host family is. And coincidentally I already have met my host brother, Ji Hyun, because he's going to the camp and I've already taught him in one of the classes. CRAZY! I'll have a little host sister too.

I might even have to chance to meet the family tomorrow when they pick up Ji Hyun. I don't think I'll mention that I'll be their staying with them... I'll probably just say it was nice to teach Ji Hyun and that he's a good kid. It might get awkward if I ask them if my room is ready yet...

Other recent highlights:
1. Played dodgeball again with the sports club on Thursday - you know how I love dodgeball. I think I've inspired the kids who've played it here too. I've got too new nicknames from the sports club. One is Spalding, because I wore my spalding tshirt a couple times, and two, dodgeball master, and you can guess how I earned that one.

2. Mariah's birthday party Thursday night - after cake at a little bakery it was 18 girls and I doing karaoke! My biggest hit was singing and dancing MC Hammer's U Can't Touch This, the e x t e n d e d version... so I was up there for a while. But I think the girls enjoyed it.

3. Went for a run Wednesday night - the first time distance running since the middle of June! It's okay though Army, I've been playing soccer and bball to keep in shape.

4. We have to take a Korean language final on Wednesday. Apparently if we don't pass there's still a chance we could get sent home. So the pressure's on for some people! For some reason that threat has been thrown around a lot by the orientation leaders recently... I think maybe some people in last year's group didn't live up to Fulbright's standards. But we're a good group. So there's no need to keep up with what I think are idle threats. There's more positive ways to motivate us to learn Korean.

5. NBA offseason is heating up. Check out this article for a funny comparison of quotes from the movie Anchorman and the NBA offseason.

No comments: