Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Leaving Chucheon in style

We're now in Seoul. Monday morning we left Chuncheon, saying our sad goodbyes to our great RA's Wie Tae and Hyun Duk, all of our other Korean friends, and the campus in general. I will definitely miss the stadium where David and I played a lot of basketball with Korean students. Some quick highlights:

1. Thursday night we went out for Rachel's birthday - it was also the day we finally finished our language classes - so it was a ton of fun and we stayed out late etc. We went to a hip hop club, and the DJ keep it going. I was really surprised by how good he was - he just kept the party going.

2. Friday morning - after staying out very late Thurs night, I had to get up early and practice my speech. I was one of 4 students who had "volunteered" to give a speech Friday morning during our final ceremony. In Korean of course. I think my teacher just wanted me to do it because she knew she could get me to make it funny. It was exaggerated and not entirely true, but I thought it would be funny. So the story went something like this:
I met a beautiful Korean girl at the gym, and we went out for Popingsu (Korean dessert). I wanted to ask her if she had a boyfriend, but I couldn't do that in Korean. Luckily in class we learned how, and then when I did ask her, she said yes, she did have a boyfriend. I was sad. But then she introduced me to her roommate!
The Korean teachers and Fulbright staff loved it.

3. Friday afternoon - We had a talent show. A fun one. I did the Napoleon dynamite dance. I even added some moves of my own onto the end - so I danced for the entire song, and did the Napoleon dance pretty well. It was awesome. Hopefully someday I'll be able to put the video of it online. Or you can IM me and I'll send it to you...

4. The weekend was pretty much packing, hanging out with people, getting ready to go. Sunday night was a big party because our English club language partners were celebrating their sports day victory over other English clubs, and the next day (Monday) was Korean independence day from Japan. It's not a holiday like the 4th of July, it's more somber and not many stores are closed.

5. Monday we went to Seoul to stay for three nights until we go to our placements on Thursday. I'm not too tired yet so I'll post about that shortly.

No comments: