Friday, August 26, 2005

Teacher Ben

As I went to my first class with another English teacher today, he exclaimed "tgif!" I thought it was another case where I couldn't really understand the Korean english teacher, but no, he was really saying TGIF. It was great - it was just how I felt. I'm definitely looking forward to relaxing this weekend.

I started teaching on Tuesday. I didn't think I was going to have to teach, but not much surprises me anymore, so when my co teacher asked if I was ready to teach second period, and yes she meant today, I said sure why not. My first lesson was going to basically be an intro lesson where the kids can ask me questions and then they write a little index card about themselves. Unfortunately I didn't realize how much of beginners they are... so I had a little trouble telling them things since I can't speak Korean. But every day since Tuesday has gotten better since I am getting used to their level and changing the lesson plan a little each day. I also don't see any classes more than once a week, so that is really nice.

People at my school, Umsa Middle School, have been really nice. I was worried about not being formal enough with people and mistakenly offending someone by not doing a Korean tradition, but the atmosphere is very relaxed. I'll keep up the formal bows with morning greetings and end of the day goodbyes, but it really seems like the teachers don't care. So I can relax a little bit. My coteacher, Mrs. Park, is very nice, and today helped me to pick out a cell phone online. Yesterday she helped me open a bank account. And she gives me little snacks everyday. The other English teachers are very nice too, and the kids treat me kind of like a movie star, always saying "hello! hello! nice to meet you!" in the hallways.

The school's cafeteria also isn't too bad. It's definitely better than the Kangwon university one where it was sometimes a struggle to get more of the main course. At Umsa? The lunch ladies see me and I have to convince them not to give me too much. Today in class I taught some students "basketball court." That's because they asked me my hobby, and after I told them, I said I would be very happy when the school's new outdoor basketball court is finished.

No comments: