Friday, July 22, 2005

This week was good

I enjoyed this week. We had a Korean quiz, I worked out three times, played basketball and soccer, decided what I want to preference for my homestay location, and generally had fun.

Tuesday we had our first real quiz. And when I say quiz, I only mean quiz. Like 10 questions, probably took about 5 minutes. But it was going to be graded. So even though we're not going to receive final grades or anything for the Korean class we're taking, all of a sudden monday night it was like we were back in high school or college. The stereotypical overachievers feel the need to stay up late studying. I did study that night, but I wasn't going to lose sleep over it, so it was kind of funny to see people stressing out like that again. Wednesday night one of the girls in the program asked me why I wanted to study wednesday night. I said because I want to learn Korean. She asked where the motivation was if there wasn't going to be another test until next week. I reminded her the classes aren't for grades...

Tuesday night we went out to a bar to "have a few beers" to celebrate taking our first quiz. But that turned into a lot of Soju, because, well, we're in South Korea so we have to drink that, and more than a few beers. Getting up for class the next day was rough for some people.

But class we sure worth it. At one point our teacher asked us if we were all tired. We said yes. Then she asked us if we had time. We weren't sure what she meant - some people got excited - was she going to let us out early? No! but even better. She invited us to go to Karaoke with her Friday night! I was the first one to realize she was serious. So let's get the party started.

Then today in class we learned that Koreans don't say "my house" they only say "our house." So I said well then we have to sing our house tonight at Karaoke. The joke was really under-appreciated.

We also found out more about the Fulbright English camp that starts on Sunday that we'll be helping run for the next two weeks. Much more of a time commitment than we were anticipating, but we'll get our first chance to interact with Korean middle school students and actually teach English. Some other stuff has probably happened, but this post is long enough. Oh and if you know and see Keith tell him congratulations, he got his first job! Hope you all have a smashing good time this weekend. I'm going to dinner, and yes I will be eating rice.

No comments: