Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I'm a student again!

Language classes have started - Korean is hard. I read the Hangul (korean alphabet) very slowly so tonight's reading homework will take a looong time if I do as much as my teacher suggested. I've had 5 hours of Korean class each each of the past two days, and I've needed to do something active afterwards. Luckily there's a funny story for each day.

Monday I joined the university gym. It's a nice facility with a cardio room and a weight room. Bad thing - I had to bring different shoes to wear in the gym than the ones I wore to the gym. Good thing - I think I found free shirts and short shorts at the gym that I can change into there and they'll be washed. So I was the only American in the gym, and the first thing I do when I get into the weight room is almost kill someone. I took one of the 20 kg (44 lbs) weights off a barbell on a bench. Big mistake. I didn't notice the bar weighed less than the typical US one, and the barbell flipped up and landed on the next bench. Luckily it hit the weight there and didn't hit the Korean guy doing bench press. The rest of the workout went without incident expect a nice old man told me there were no shoes allowed on the stretching mat.

Tuesday doesn't really have a funny story that would come across on the blog. Sorry. I played ping pong this afternoon and lost several close games. My excuse was the equipment, the paddles are different than US paddles. Then I played basketball and on my way back to the dorm scared of one the girls because I had sweat so much.