Thursday, September 15, 2005

No class tomorrow!

Something lucky happened to me. On Tuesday when I got to school my coteacher handed me the day's schedule of classes. I have been dealing with a "temporary" schedule since I started, but most of the classes fell on the same day, just during different periods. But Tuesday's schedule had me teaching a class I had taught the day before. I asked my coteacher where the schedule came from and how I was teaching the same class... As usual, when we really need to communicate about something it was tough, but after a while she said "maybe (she starts out a lot of sentences with maybe) this schedule isn't good for you, maybe you can pick your own schedule."

By maybe, she meant Yes, go ahead, pick your own schedule. Music to my ears. Since I rotate around to the other 5 English teachers' classes and teach with a heavy emphasis on speaking, I guess it really doesn't matter when exactly I teach, as long as I hit each class. It was a little tricky, but I managed to make the schedule so that I now have every other Friday off!

Tomorrow I'll go into Daejon. I need to get out a little bit and explore a big city. I need to find somewhere to play basketball... When my host family heard I was planning to take the bus alone to Daejon tomorrow and explore the city, they got worried. All of a sudden my host mom needs to go shopping in the morning in Daejon.

This weekend is the Korean holiday Chusok. It's translated to mean Thanksgiving, but I don't think it's much like American Thanksgiving. I can eat like it's Thanksgiving every night with the amount of good food my host mom makes me. Chusok is one of the most important holidays, and I'll be spending it with my host family. Their extended family will come to Gyeryong to visit us, and what we'll do for three days and three nights I don't know yet. I'm sure I'll be expected to drink with the relatives and entertain the kids, two things I can do well. I'm excited to see what'll happen, but I won't hold my breath for turkey.

No comments: