Saturday, September 10, 2005

How do you pronounce progress...

This week I started my third lesson. It was a 'Hi how are you?' lesson because all the kids ever say is 'fine thank you.' It wasn't supposed to be too hard and was supposed to be a chance for most to practice their english. But, some low level students don't have that much english under their belt no matter where their class is in the textbook. So... some classes were interesting. For the first grade students, it was their turn to work on pronunciation. You would love to see me teaching them. Some things I've now said twenty times and will say another ten times next week:
"Okay class, make the L sound with me - la la la la la la la"
As I walk around to each student "say Lock Rock"

Tomorrow I'm off to Cheonan and Cheongju to see my friend Tom from the Explo days. It will be a good time. Today I went into Daejon on the bus for the first time. Basically I just found the bus terminal I'll go to tomorrow.

In other news, Gyeryong really isn't that small. When I first heard I was coming here, I was worried. But I think I was misinformed. Gyeryong is not "out in the boonies." It has 100+ small restaurants, at least 30 high rise apartment buildings, golf courses, a bowling alley, and some bars. Tonight I went out with my friend Baum Sheik (my host brother's tutor) and it was a really good time. He thinks next time we play basketball he'll win (Last time I let him get out to an 8-3 lead before I started really trying and then won the game). When I came back home, I thought I would be able to go to bed. But when I came in the door, my host parents were entertaining some guests. So I had to drink some more.

Tonight at dinner my host sister asked me what I thought of Japan. I've encountered many people who say they "hate Japan" or "hate Japanese" people. This bugs me, since Korean is already really homogeneous, and needs to embrace diversity instead of perpetuate stereotypes. So even though my host sister doesn't speak a ton on English, I had a little discussion about the past, governments, prejudices, and why she probably doesn't hate Japanese people but instead disagrees with some of Japan's government's actions. I don't know if I reached her, but I have a whole year to make sure she doesn't hate the Japanese just because one of her elementary school teachers said bad things about the Japanses. If it's one thing the world doesn't need it's another small up an coming nation with a racial chip on its shoulder.

If I was in America, I don't know what I would say about Katrina. So I won't start. The NFL started tonight, it's 40th season. The Patriots have a chance to try to win 3 super bowls in a row, and started off okay with a win against the Raiders tonight. If only life was as simple as football plays X's and O's.

No comments: