Friday, June 30, 2006

Final Fulbright Dinner Tonight

I'm leaving for Seoul in 3 hours. The final Fulbright dinner is tonight, so I'll say goodbye the other Fulbright English teachers and we'll reminisce about the year. I'll miss the people on the program, especially my close friends. We'll always have this crazy year in Korea as a deep bond.

Each one of us had such a unique experience. After the six week orientation, we all went off to different corners of Korea, with different schools and homestay families, not to mention we are all so different ourselves. So while we haven't really been together as a group very much, we've developed our own unity in a land where everyone is one.

Soon we'll be back in America where everyone is an individual, and there will be no more questions like:
1. Is it (hot, cold, rainy, etc) in America?
2. Does it snow in America?
3. Do American people like (mayonnaise, green tea, soccer, hamburgers, etc)

I'll miss those occasionally. They remind me of several things. One, just how deep the language barrier has been this year; man do I wish I communicate with people over here. Two, the high degree of unity (sometimes blind, fervent nationalism) that all Koreans seem to share. Three, that not everyone in the world hates America.

I think one thing all the American Fulbright teachers will share is that we're all sad to be leaving Korea, but happy to move on to other things in life, and extremely thankful for our time here.

1 comment:

Mike said...

My monthly post is UP! Also, how's miguk treating you?