Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Today I still feel like dancing

I hadn't been dancing in a while, but last weekend in Seoul I went out both friday and saturday night and danced. It was great, and the Koreans girls loved it (from afar). I thought I would be good for awhile, but then...

My co teacher and I had a little spat today I think. We were doing the second half of a shopping lesson. She wanted to take half the class out in the hall to punish them for not still having their dialogues in their notebooks. Some of the kids had changed notebooks, since the last time I saw them was two weeks ago. This would have caused problems for two reasons. One, she wouldn't have been in the classroom, and I couldn't explain what we were going to do in English. Second, on the way to the classroom I had explained that with this lesson we needed to make good use of time. and if she took time to punish the students, then my lesson doesn't get done. So I told her not to punish them now, and called the students back into the room. I could tell she wasn't happy, but I'm not happy when she decides to go nuts on kids every three classes. I tried to tell the kids to copy the dialogue from someone else in the room, thinking co teacher would translate, but no luck. She was not into helping for the rest of class. It's okay though, we'll have a little chat soon enough.

Then after lunch I had two very low level classes, where we don't really accomplish much other than the fact that the kids are at least exposed to English for 45 minutes. So today was one of those days where I feel like we'd all be better off if I just brought music into class and danced for the kids. I would have a lot more fun, the kids would have a lot more fun, and so would the Korean teacher in the room with me. Maybe the last week that's what we'll do. I can picture it now... Merry Christmas kids!

Aside -
I had three fried eggs, a plate of spaghetti, two kiwis, and yogurt for breakfast. Delicious. Thank you host mom

2 comments:

Rose said...

i still feel like dancing too. i miss big city life! ^^

Bennett Baldwin said...

haha, yeah combine the usual breakfast with the hot, really stuffy teachers office, and it's easy to fall asleep. luckily the kids make a lot of noise