Sunday, March 26, 2006

Dinner Conversation

When I was young, my brothers and I would sometimes argue with my mom before dinner. We wanted to watch TV, usually the Simpsons. She always resisted, like she resisted and fought many of the things we wanted to do as teenagers. The reason we couldn't watch TV was because we had "to learn how to make conversation." That reason never quite satisfied us. But before long, my younger brother and I were telling our youngest brother to stop watching TV at dinner.

Living with my host family has been very interesting. I don't ever judge, but occasionally I think about how I would act as the parent in a certain situation. Tonight we went to a restaurant for dinner. My host sister and I were the last ones to finish, maybe because we're slow eaters, or maybe because we talked the most at dinner (both true). My 15 year old host brother, Ji Hyun, got up and went somewhere. Ten minutes later I asked my host mother if he went to the bathroom.

She answered, "Oh no... haha... he went to car. TV."

My host family is rich and has TV's in the car. We went on to joke about how TV was Ji Hyun's hobby. I said, "Yes, I know..."

No comments: