Tuesday, September 04, 2007

August updates


Picking up where I left off, I went to Wando, a small island off the southern coast of Korea for a great day at the beach.

An ROTC cadet came to our unit for three weeks, and I had a great time showing him what I do, how to be an officer, what Korea is like, etc. It was a great chance to mentor someone young, something I'll be doing soon if my replacement actually comes like he is supposed to in October.

I did decide to extend my service in Korea for an extra year... I am trying to get stationed somewhere else though, somewhere further south where I would have more opportunities to learn Korean.

Our unit is still busy, and I doubt we'll ever have a week that we're not busy. We continue to get lots of new soldiers, which will make life easier over time though.

I returned to Chuncheon for Camp Fulbright's sports day, part of the new ETA orientation. It was a lot of fun to hang out with middle school kids again. It's fun times like those that I miss teaching.

The building I used to live in was condemned for, among other things, excessive mold. My new room is like a little studio apartment, a little smaller but with a nicer kitchen area and bathroom. It also gives me a chance to go through stuff and throw away what I don't need, and notice that mold did indeed get on some of my clothes.


This past weekend I went to Jeonju with my buddy Mike, and we had a great time, and ate famous Jeonju bibimbap (that's been on my Korean things to do checklist for a year and a half).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

if you don't update soon, i'm going to stop checking this thing. and then your clever blog name will go into disuse, and that will be yet another american tragedy of the bush era. ^ ^

Unknown said...

mooooooooooore.